Advanced Practice Environmental and Occupational Health

Vegetable pickers in fieldThe Advanced Practice Environmental and Occupational Health (APEOH) graduate certificate is open to current graduate students or post-master’s professionals in any discipline who wish to develop advanced skills and expertise in environmental and occupational health nursing.

More than a quarter of the global disease burden is attributable to environmental exposures, with children bearing a disproportionate amount of the risk. Nursing is well placed to address these issues with individuals, families, communities and populations, particularly if provided with the tools and encouragement to act on underlying causes of disease and disability.

The occupational/work setting as a major type of physical environmental space in which people spend significant amounts of time and encounter exposures that impact health. Poor worker health costs businesses trillion of dollars each year. Nursing has a long history of engaging in health and wellness promotion, illness and injury prevention, and protection of workers from work-related and environmental hazards.

In this graduate certificate, you will consider the various elements in the various dimensions of environmental and occupational health including health disparities and the social determinants of health to specific agents (for example, water quality or work stress) and methods (for example, quantitative risk assessment).


While many APEOH graduate certificate classes include some distance learning methods, there are some classes that require in-person classroom attendance.

Programs of study generally require one to three days of study or clinical practicum weekly. Classwork and fieldwork placements are individualized and developed with a faculty adviser. Clinical practice experiences are offered in urban and rural locations.

In addition to selected classwork, students will complete a capstone experience of three or more credits involving a mentored research or clinical experience. This experience is negotiated between you and your graduate certificate faculty adviser.