Applications are due at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Oct. 15 to begin study spring or autumn quarter of 2024.
You may apply to both quarters but must submit a separate but identical application for each.
ABSN application checklist
Follow this checklist to make sure you have everything you need to submit a complete application for admission:
- Check your eligibility
- Order your official transcripts
- Designate a recommender
- Complete the ABSN application
- Complete the UW Post-baccalaureate application
- Apply now
1. Check your eligibility
ABSN applicants must have:
- A baccalaureate degree in a non-nursing field, OR sufficient time to complete a bachelor’s degree in time to start the program
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.8 for all completed college-level coursework
- At the time you submit your application, at least three of the Natural Sciences (NSc) prerequisite courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for those courses
- A minimum grade of 3.0 (“B”) in each ABSN prerequisite course, including all Natural Sciences courses, Lifespan Growth & Development, and Statistics
- At the time you submit your application, completion of a minimum 100 hours of paid or volunteer health care experience in one setting within a three-month span, completed within 12 months prior to applying
- A clear understanding of the Registered Nurse (RN) role
- Proof of English language proficiency
If you do not meet the minimum requirements above, you should not submit an application at this time.
2. Order your official transcripts
You must submit an official transcript from every school you have attended – including the University of Washington – even if credits from one school appear on the transcript of another. Only official transcripts will be accepted.
You must first request your transcript, either delivered to you in digital or paper format:
- Official paper transcripts: Scan or take a high-resolution photo of each transcript, including the reverse side.
- Official digital transcripts: Digital transcripts can be uploaded directly as a PDF document, or be opened by you, saved as a PDF, and then uploaded as a PDF document.
You will scan or take a high-resolution photo of each transcript, including the reverse side.
Transcripts must be in PDF format. Screenshots (including photos of monitors), JPEG, PNG, or other image formats are not accepted.
The School of Nursing will not accept transcripts sent directly to our office; they must be received by you and uploaded as part of your application.
3. Designate a recommender
Arrange for your letter of recommendation well in advance of the application deadline. You will designate one (1) recommender who will submit a recommendation letter to your online application. If possible, sit down and discuss this letter with them.
Additional letters of recommendation will not be considered.
An ideal candidate to write your letter of recommendation is someone who has worked with you (e.g., in a work, volunteer, or academic experience) and knows you well enough to speak to your professional qualities and potential as a future nurse.
Ensure that your recommender will complete and submit this letter prior to the application deadline. Recommendations will not be accepted after the deadline.
Family members and personal friends may not write your letter of recommendation.
For applicants who are applying to both spring and autumn ABSN start dates: You will be completing two separate but identical applications and will request that your recommender submit two (2) identical recommendations for each application. We suggest that your recommender draft and save responses in a word processor document to paste into both recommendation forms.
4. Complete the ABSN application
If you are eligible to apply, go to the online application portal to create your account and complete your online application.
5. Complete the UW Post-baccalaureate application
Admissions decisions are emailed to applicants in mid-December.
To start the ABSN program, admitted applicants must submit a post-baccalaureate to the University of Washington.
Admitted applicants will then apply for spring or fall quarter to the UW Seattle campus as a post-baccalaureate applicant. You should submit an application for each intended start date for which you apply:
- Spring quarter start: The spring start post-baccalaureate application opens November 1 with a deadline of December 15. ABSN applicants who applied for a spring quarter start will be sent information on how to complete and submit this application on November 1.
- Autumn quarter start: The autumn start post-baccalaureate application opens December 15 with a deadline of February 15.
Visit https://admit.washington.edu/apply/postbac/ for more information.
6. Apply now
The 2024 ABSN application is now open.