Application availability and deadline
Applications are due at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Oct. 15 to begin study the following autumn.
ABSN application checklist
Follow this checklist to make sure you have everything you need to submit a complete application for admission:
- Check your eligibility
- Order transcripts
- Designate a recommender
- Complete the ABSN application
- Write the proctored essay
- Apply to UW
- Apply now
1. Check your eligibility
ABSN applicants must have:
- A baccalaureate degree in a non-nursing field, OR sufficient time to complete a bachelor’s degree in time to start the program
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.8 for all completed college-level coursework
- At the time you submit your application, at least three of the Natural World prerequisite courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for those courses
- A minimum grade of 3.0 (“B”) in each ABSN prerequisite course, including all Natural World courses, Lifespan Growth & Development, and Statistics
- A clear understanding of the Registered Nurse (RN) role
- Proof of English language proficiency
If you do not meet the minimum requirements above, you should not submit an application at this time.
2. Order transcripts
You must submit a transcript from every school you have attended – including the University of Washington – even if credits from one school appear on the transcript of another. We will accept official or unofficial transcripts.
You will scan or take a high-resolution photo of each transcript, including the reverse side.
Transcripts must be in PDF format.
The School of Nursing may contact you if there are issues reviewing your transcript(s).
3. Designate a recommender
Arrange for your letter of recommendation well in advance of the application deadline. You will designate one recommender who will submit a recommendation letter to your online application. If possible, sit down and discuss this letter with them.
Additional letters of recommendation will not be considered.
An ideal candidate to write your letter of recommendation is someone who has worked with you (e.g., in a work, volunteer, or academic experience) and knows you well enough to speak to your professional qualities and potential as a future nurse.
Family members and personal friends may not write your letter of recommendation.
4. Complete the ABSN application
If you are eligible to apply, go to the online application portal to create your account and complete your online application.
5. Write the proctored essay
Following the application deadline, all ABSN applicants must complete an online proctored essay. We will conduct the proctored essay online using a service called Canvas.
The proctored essay is scheduled for Wednesday, October 27, 2021. You will be given one hour to complete this essay once it begins.
There are NO early or make-up sessions for the proctored essay.
If you will need disability accommodations to write the proctored essay, please read our instructions for accommodations confirmation.
Those who apply by the deadline will receive a link by 5 p.m. Pacific Time on Monday, October 18, 2021, for a practice quiz. This practice quiz will allow you to test your hardware in the days leading up to the official proctored essay.
During the exam, you may also use scratch paper when solving the math problems.
You can complete the proctored essay between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. Pacific Time on Wednesday, October 27, 2021. You will have one hour to complete the essay; please give yourself enough time before the 10 p.m. deadline. If you start the proctored essay within the hour leading up to the deadline, you will only have until the deadline to complete it.
Contact Student and Academic Services (email@example.com, 206.543.8736).
- A stable Ethernet or WiFi connection for the duration of the essay
- You may use any browser to complete the online essay, but Google Chrome is recommended.
- Use a browser that is up to date. Check your browser version by accessing the Help > About menu in your browser of choice.
- We recommend restarting your computer or device within 24 hours of writing your essay.
- If you do not wish to restart your computer or tablet, clear the cache of the internet browser you plan to use and close and re-launch your internet browser, or use a private/incognito window.
6. Apply to UW
Admissions decisions are emailed to applicants in mid-December. Admitted applicants will then apply for fall quarter to the UW Seattle campus as a post-baccalaureate applicant.
Visit https://admit.washington.edu/apply/postbac/ for more information.
7. Apply now
The 2022 ABSN application is now open.