Auxiliary faculty status
Auxiliary faculty member nomination
Appointment as a UW School of Nursing auxiliary faculty member formally recognizes a preceptor as an individual who demonstrates excellence in clinical practice and/or community service. Because we highly value the education each preceptor provides to our students, we encourage preceptors to seek nomination as an auxiliary faculty member in one of three departments in the School of Nursing.
- Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Informatics (BNHI)
- Family and Child Nursing (FCN)
- Psychosocial and Community Health (PCH)
Submission of a curriculum vitae (CV or resume) is required. We offer a sample CV format to help you submit a strong, polished CV for your application.
Becoming an auxiliary faculty member
You may request an appointment to the auxiliary faculty or, more commonly, be nominated by a current School of Nursing faculty member. The letter of request should be sent via mail or email to the respective department chairs:
- BNHI: Margaret M. Heitkemper, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., chair and professor; UW School of Nursing, Box 357266; Seattle, WA 98195-7266; firstname.lastname@example.org
- FCN: Gail M. Houck, Ph.D., R.N., chair and professor; UW School of Nursing, Box 357262; Seattle, WA 98195; email@example.com
- PCH: Karen Schepp, Ph.D., R.N., PMHCNS-BC, F.A.A.N., chair and professor; UW School of Nursing, Box 357263; Seattle, WA 98195; firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be asked to complete and submit a set of required documents, including an updated CV and one letter of recommendation.
If a letter of nomination was submitted on your behalf by a member of the faculty, it may be used as the letter of recommendation.
Faculty vote is held annually in April or May. If the vote is positive, a letter of request will be sent to the dean. After review and concurrence by the UW Academic Human Resources Department, you are sent a letter with notification of the appointment. Appointments are effective July 1 and are renewed annually.