AAPI resources May 2021
Resources and books
- Justin A Chen, Emily Zhang, Cindy H Liu. 2020. Potential Impact of COVID-19-Related Racial Discrimination on the Health of Asian Americans. Am J Public Health. Nov;110(11):1624-1627.
- Gilbert C Gee, Annie Ro, Salma Shariff-Marco, David Chae. 2009. Racial discrimination and health among Asian Americans: Evidence, assessment, and directions for future research. Epidemiol Rev;31:130-51. At:
- Gilbert C. Gee, and Annie Ro. (2009). Chapter 13. Racism and Discrimination; in Asian American Communities and Health: Context, Research, Policy, and Action. Jossey-Bass.
- Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong
- Yellow Peril!: An Archive Of Anti-Asian Fear by John Kuo Wei Tchen and Dylan Yeats
- Myth of the Modern Minority: Asian Americans Facing Racism by Rosalind S. Chou and Joe R. Feagin
- The Making Of Asian America: A History by Erika Lee
- We Gon’ Be Alright: Notes on Race and Resegregation by Jeff Chang
- Orientals: Asian Americans in Popular Culture by Robert G. Lee
- America For Americans: A History Of Xenophobia In The United States by Erika Lee
- The Color of Success: Asian Americans and the Origins of the Model Minority by Ellen D. Wu
- Asian American Dreams: The Emergence Of an American People by Helen Zia
- From a Whisper to a Rallying Cry: The Killing of Vincent Chin and the Trial that Galvanized the Asian American Movement by Paula Yoo
- Immigrant Acts: On Asian American Cultural Politics by Lisa Lowe
- Contagious Divides: Epidemics and Race in San Francisco’s Chinatown by Nayan Shah
- Yellow: Race In America Beyond Black and White by Frank H. Wu
Report incidents of hate and bias
- Report Bias Incidents at UW: Report all incidents of bias or suspected bias using the UW’s bias reporting tool, which was created in partnership with the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity, the Office of Student Life and the president’s Race & Equity Initiative.
- Stop AAPI Hate tracks and responds to incidents of hate, violence, harassment, discrimination, shunning, and child bullying against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Tell your story, help them track the hate, you can also read stories submitted on this page.
- Chinese Information Service Center has provided resources on how to report incidents of hate or bias in different languages.
- WA State Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs has a robust list of organizations for AANHPI people to report incidents.
- Attend bystander intervention training as well as a de-escalation training adapted to support the AAPI community.