Susan McCurry PhD
I am a clinical psychologist specializing in gerontology and geriatrics, and have been involved in research and clinical practice with older adults for over 30 years. I received my PhD at University of Nevada Reno, where I was trained in contextual behavioral science. As part of the School of Nursing Northwest Research Group on Aging team, I have since 1991 worked to help develop, systematically evaluate, and translate nonpharmacological interventions to improve quality of life for persons with cognitive impairment. My ongoing research includes: (1) assessment and treatment of sleep disturbances in aging adults with co-morbid medical conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, chronic pain, kidney disease, and menopausal vasomotor symptoms; (2) development and evaluation of training programs for family and professional staff caring for persons with dementia; and (3) examination of the environmental, behavioral, and psychosocial factors associated with successful aging and cognitive decline.
- BA, Pomona College, 1974
- MS, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 1977
- MS, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 1984
- PhD, University of Nevada-Reno, 1991
- Postdoctoral Geropsychology Fellowship, University of Washington, 1993
Awards and accolades
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
What do you love about the UW School of Nursing?
The School of Nursing is a community of students and faculty characterized by intellectual rigor, commitment to global health, and a passion for support of diversity and innovation in training, research, and community service. If you care about making the world a better place, the School of Nursing is the place for you.
- McCurry, S.M. (2006). When a family member has dementia: Steps to becoming a resilient caregiver. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- McCurry, S.M., & Drossel, C. (2011). Treating dementia in context: A step by step guide to working with individuals and families. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press.
DepartmentChild, Family, and Population Health Nursing
- Lifespan Health