Jennifer Sonney PhD, ARNP, PPCNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN
My program of research is dedicated to improving the health of children with chronic conditions, with a particular emphasis on children with asthma. As a scientist-clinician, I draw upon my experience as a primary care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner to inform novel approaches to improving asthma outcomes in children by reducing symptom burden and establishing lifelong self-management skills. Presently, the foci of my scholarly work are determining the cognitive capacity of a child to assume asthma management responsibility and developing and testing family-centered health technologies to support parent-child shared asthma management. I use a variety of approaches in my interdisciplinary research, including human-centered design, family informatics, behavior change theory, and dyadic methodology. I also serve on the Executive Committee of my professional organization, the National Association for Pediatric Nurse Practitioners.
- BSN, University of Washington, 2003
- MSN, University of Washington, 2006
- PhD, University of Arizona, 2015
Awards, accolades and distinguished memberships:
- ITHS KL2 Scholar 2019-2022
- Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP)
- Elizabeth C. Giblin Endowed Professor in Symptom Science, 2020-2025
- AACN Educating Leaders in Academic Nursing Fellow, 2022-2023
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
What classes do you teach?
- Nurse 589 Application of Theory and Evidence in Nursing Science
- NURS 517 Pediatric Pulmonary Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology: Clinical Applications
What do you love about the UW School of Nursing?
I completed my BSN and MN programs at the UW School of Nursing, and am thrilled to contribute now as a faculty member. We are so fortunate to be surrounded by a skilled and diverse faculty who offer the very best in clinical excellence, scholarship, and service to their profession and community.
DepartmentChild, Family, and Population Health Nursing
- Innovative Interventions
- Symptom Science
- Lifespan Health