Financial support

Fund your education

Many funding opportunities are available for nursing students, both within the School and UW and also the community at large. Students, no matter their need level, are encouraged to apply for as many funding sources as possible.

Complete information about the types of student funding available, as well as how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), can be found on the UW Office of Student Financial Aid website.

Funding sources

Financial support applications

The School of Nursing has several scholarships to support enrolled nursing students. Even though some of the scholarships are limited, we are able to help many of our students who have high unmet need.

New student funding

Awards for top scholars and other scholarships are available to graduate degree program applicants.

Need-based financial support

number of scholarships are available for nursing students. Scholarships are awarded every year during the summer for three quarters (Autumn, Winter, Spring), and applications are open mid-April through mid-May.

New funding opportunities

Outside (non-UW) scholarships, educational opportunities and available TA/RS/SA positions are posted every week on our New Funding Opportunities page.

Student travel funding

The School of Nursing offers a Student Conference Travel Award to provide support to nursing students to pursue various educational opportunities to present their research at regional and national meetings, workshops and conferences.

Employment during school

Nurse technicians

Nurse Technician licensure requires concurrent enrollment in the ABSN and BSN program in “good standing” (all nursing courses must receive a 2.0 grade or better and receive “credit” for clinical courses). You may apply for Nurse Technician licensure after completing NCLIN 302 and 306

Download the Nurse Technician licensure application

Anh Shafer ( in Student and Academic Services will verify your enrollment in good standing and projected graduation date on the application.

Certified nursing assistant (CNA) licensure

After completing NCLIN 302 and 306, ABSN and BSN students are eligible to sit for the CNA licensure exam. Some hospitals prefer to hire Certified Nursing Assistants over Nurse Technicians.

Download the CNA licensure application

TA, RA and SA positions

Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant and Staff Assistant positions may offer students paid tuition and a stipend. In most positions, you help faculty with their teaching or research 20 hours per week. Positions are competitive and have a student union, and applicants must be proficient in English.

Available positions are posted on the paid student opportunities page.

International students

We follow the University of Washington policy that all international students must have financial support for the first year of their education as dictated in their U.S. 1-20 VISA.  International students must plan to fully support themselves in year one.

International students may apply for scholarship support for years two and three. This support is based on satisfactory progress and GPA. Year one progress will be assessed and used as a basis for financial scholarship support in years two and three.

International students are encouraged to apply for TA, RA and SA positions. Students applying for these positions need to be proficient with English; UW requires English Language Proficiency (ELPR) of all new first-year students and transfer students regardless of residency status. If students are struggling with English, they are strongly urged to take English courses the first year while they are in school.