Academic Student Employee Appointments
All graduate appointments in the University of Washington must comply with the requirements detailed by the following websites:
- Executive Orders 28 and 30: Policy Governing Graduate Student Appointments
- Graduate School Memorandum No. 14: Departmental Responsibilities Regarding Instruction by TAs
- Graduate School Memorandum No. 15: Conditions of Appointment for TAs who are not Native Speakers of English
- UW-UAW Contract
Academic Student Employees and Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA)
All Academic Student Employees must receive FERPA Training as part of their orientation. The links listed below link to the online training and provide more information regarding FERPA. We have also created a form that an Academic Student Employee should complete as part of the hiring process.
All TAs should be evaluated at a minimum for the first 2 quarters of being employed as a TA, with feedback provided as per Graduate School Memo 14. Instructors are highly encouraged to provide evaluation and feedback after the required 2 quarters.
The School of Nursing has developed a form for evaluation purposes. The form should be filed with AHR after completion.
School of Nursing Academic Student Employee (ASE) Resident Operating Fee Policy
This policy is effective September 16, 2014.
Definitions and Background
- Tuition-based students: Students enrolled in state-funded academic programs
- Fee-based students: Students enrolled in self-sustaining academic programs
- Office of Planning and Budgeting (OPB) Brief (September 4, 2014: Criteria for Course Payments to Graduate Students in Fee-based Degree Programs
ASE Resident Operating Fee Policy
To determine eligibility for resident operating fee, see the Graduate School General Conditions of Appointment found at: https://grad.uw.edu/graduate-student-funding/funding-information-for-departments/administering-assistantships/tara-salaries/information-about-salary-schedules-and-administration/
Tuition-based students,who are hired as ASEs (TAs/RAs/SAs) in the UW School of Nursing, receive a resident operating and tech fee waiver, and a waiver of the non-resident differential, if any, in the amount of the current tuition. This is the standard university practice.
Fee-based students who are hired as ASEs (TAs/RAs/SAs) in the UW School of Nursing receive course payments equal to Tier 1 graduate resident operating and tech fee, plus remaining related program-specific fees. This practice is consistent with the aforementioned OPB Brief.
Revised January 2018
Student and Academic Services Memo No. 35