Required training and compliance
School of Nursing compliance requirements
Nursing students must meet Health Sciences and School of Nursing compliance requirements prior to the start of the program and throughout enrollment. Student and Academic Services (SAS) quarterly monitors:
- student trainings
- policy agreements
- background checks, and
- immunizations designed to protect our students, the University, and the School of Nursing’s clinical partners
As expiration dates approach, SAS staff will send reminder emails to alert you to pending expiration dates so you can renew immunizations/licensure/etc. and minimize interruption to your research or clinical rotations.
Compliance tracking continues to evolve to meet the expanding needs and requirements of our partnered agencies such as:
- North Puget Sound Clinical Placement Consortium
- University of Washington’s Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP)
Clinical site requirements
Students must also meet all clinical site requirements, which may include:
- drug screening
- evidence of military draft registration, and
- other site-specific requirements
- Keep copies of compliance requirements for your own records.
- To update expired requirements in your student file, bring proof of compliance to Student and Academic Services as soon as possible.
- Immunizations must be updated through the Health Sciences Immunizations Program (HSIP) (firstname.lastname@example.org). It takes up to two working days to remove a hold once you have submitted your compliance documentation.
- If a drug screening is required at a clinical site, the student and/or clinical agency are responsible for the cost. The UW School of Nursing does not pay for drug screening and will not administer, receive, or review drug testing results. The date of the drug screening will be included in the clinical passport to the site without results or other information.
- A hold will be placed on your student account if a requirement’s expiration date has lapsed. Contact your compliance specialist at email@example.com for questions regarding account holds.
- Students enrolled in clinical courses: Clinical sites require the School of Nursing to send verification of your compliance status (including your immunizations history) quarterly by submitting the Clinical Passport. If any of your compliance items have lapsed or are outstanding, you will not be allowed on site.
- Students entering clinical sites for observation purposes, data collection, research projects, etc. must meet the clinical agency’s compliance requirements in addition to School of Nursing requirements.
Documents and trainings
No expiration date
Must remain current
|*Pre-RN licensure students are required to attend an in-person training. If you are a MN, DNP or graduate certificate program student, you are required to acknowledge that you have been trained regarding blood borne pathogens and are accountable for this knowledge.|
|**When completing hazards management training, enter Patrick Tufford (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your supervisor.|