Financial support application
School of Nursing financial support application
The School of Nursing has several scholarships to support nursing students enrolled at the Seattle campus during the academic year (autumn through spring). Though SoN scholarships are limited, we are able to help many of our students who have high unmet need and/or loan debt.
Unmet need is the amount of financial need that is not covered by financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans and/or work study). It is determined from the Cost of Attendance (CoA) minus student/parent contribution and minus financial aid; what is left is called “unmet need.” For those who are eligible for federal financial aid, this figure is determined from the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the UW Office of Student Financial Aid (UW OSFA).
Who should apply?
Seattle campus nursing students whose budget indicates they will struggle to meet their financial needs (tuition, living expenses, books, etc.) during the next academic year.
The donors set criteria for their scholarships. There are times when they are very specific, so it behooves students to apply because not everyone fits the criteria. Remember: scholarships are funding you do not have to pay back!
Here is information that will help you examine some of the types financial support available as you progress through your nursing program.
- Read the School of Nursing Financial Support Criteria Information Sheet to make sure you understand eligibility and priorities for School of Nursing funding
- Visit our External Scholarships and Educational Opportunities often for information about outside scholarships (non-UW Nursing), educational opportunities and upcoming/available student positions
- Eligible students complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1, 2019. Complete this every year you are enrolled in your program of study.
- Read about sources of funding that are available through the UW School of Nursing.
- School of Nursing student financial support is awarded for one academic year only, unless otherwise designated in the award letter.
- Complete the online School of Nursing Financial Support Application between April 1 and May 1, 2019. Newly admitted MS-CIPCT students will be permitted to apply June 10-25, 2019; no other applications will be accepted during that time. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Award letters will be mailed July through September each year.