Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship
The Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship (HCOTW) is available to any student currently enrolled in a UW School of Nursing degree program. It encourages and assists student to seek experiences of immersion in health care and society in a culture very different from their own, either internationally or in the United States.
Dean Emeritus Sue T. Hegyvary, who taught in Uzbekistan, implemented the Citizens of the World Scholarship as an outgrowth of multiple interests and opportunities within the School. A tile is featured in the Peace Park of Seattle’s sister city, Tashkent, and reads: “citizens of the world.”
This scholarship supports travel expenses for experiences that extend significantly beyond course requirements. Students:
- formulate a plan for learning with a faculty sponsor
- establish a relationship with a sponsor at the site
- arrange their own accommodations
- cover additional expenses of their one- to three-month stays, and
- share their experiences upon return
Financial support for the Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship comes entirely from private gifts and is an important source of sustained funding that allows the School to support students’ international engagement and global health endeavors.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the completed 2018 CGHN Common Fieldwork Funding & Global Nursing Scholars Program Application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. Friday, March 2, 2018.
After Receiving Support
- Award Recipients’ Responsibilities and Requirements
- Award Reimbursement Instructions
- UW Standards of Conduct Form
- Study Abroad Emergency Contact Form
- Student Checklist
- Thank you note to donor
- Promptly write a thank you note to your sponsors
- Provide a copy of your final travel itinerary (as per Award Reimbursement Instructions form)
- Complete the Post-Experience Report and Evaluation
- Announce your presentation to the community