The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging is pleased to provide scholarships to both undergraduate and graduate nursing students to pursue research in the field of gerontology. Faculty mentors offer individual guidance and serve as valuable resources for beginning researchers. To date, more than 140 undergraduate and graduate scholarships have been awarded. Information about current and past scholars’ projects can be found at the bottom of this page.
The 2018 Healthy Aging Research Scholarship applications will be due Friday, October 19th at 5pm. Scholarship application information will be posted soon.
About the scholarships
These scholarships are unrestricted funds available to support and nurture interest in older adults:
- Undergraduate awards are $2,000
- Undergraduate scholarships encourage junior and senior baccalaureate nursing students to carry out a research project in the field of aging. Under the mentorship of a nursing faculty member, students are encouraged to examine questions of direct relevance to pre-existing studies or develop their own research projects and complete the project over two quarters.
- Doctoral awards are $7,500
- Healthy Aging Doctoral Student Scholarships support work on a DNP scholarly project or PhD dissertation or other research.
To be eligible for a Healthy Aging Scholarship, students must:
- Be enrolled at UW School of Nursing or one of the Nursing Programs at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
- Have a faculty mentor to guide the research or project
- Focus of application is not required to be student’s project or dissertation.
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to gerontology, aging
- Significance of the proposed project
- Feasibility for project completion by end of current academic year
- Professional commitment to gerontology
- Quality of the application, including answering application questions and proofread
- Only applications submitted by the deadline will be considered
In addition, preference is given for:
- Demonstrated need for financial aid
- Those who have not received a previous Healthy Aging Scholarship
If you have any questions or would like help in identifying or selecting a faculty mentor, please contact Heather Wicklein Sanchez, manager of the de Tornyay Center, at 206.616.4276 or by email email@example.com.
Conference Travel Scholarships
The de Tornyay Center is proud to support graduate students presenting their aging research at regional, national and international conferences. Travel scholarship applications are due at least two months before scheduled conference/travel. Email your Scholarship Application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Read the Graduate Student Travel Scholarship Guidelines before applying.
A list of healthy aging scholars, their research topics, and brief PowerPoint slides are available here.