Ignite Aging 2018
Join us for an informative and engaging symposium, Ignite Aging which will include innovative research in healthy aging presented by School of Nursing faculty, students, and alumni. Each presentation will be about 15 minutes in length. This symposium is organized by the de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging in partnership with the Center for Global Health Nursing, Center for Innovation in Sleep Self-Management, and the Northwest Roybal Center.
Date: Friday, Sept 28, 2018
Check-in: 12:30 – 1 p.m.
Program: 1 – 5 p.m.
Location: Magnuson Health Sciences Center T (HST) T-661
Presenter times, speakers and topics:
- 1:00 – Opening remarks – Basia Belza, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor and The Aljoya Endowed Professor in Aging, Director of de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging
- 1:15 – Tatiana Sadak, PhD, RN, Associate Professor School of Nursing, Seattle PhD Class of 2011, de Tornyay Healthy Aging Scholar – Dementia as an Organizing Principle of Care
- 1:30 -Kristen Sylvester, DNP, RN, CCRN DNP Class of 2018 – Accessing Care for Vulnerable Populations: Getting through the Barriers
- 1:45 – Shih-Yin Lin, PhD, MM, MPH, PhD Class of 2017, Post-doctoral Fellow de Tornyay Healthy Aging Scholar, Healthy Brain Research Network Scholar – Dementia-Friendly Communities: What Is It and Why Do we Care?
- 2:00 – Break
- 2:15 – Sarah Gimbel, RN, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, Co-Director, UW Center for Global Health Nursing, PhD Class of 2013 – Time to Get with the Flow: Optimizing Hypertension Care Cascades for People Living with HIV in Mozambique
- 2:30 – Liesl Henthorn, BSN, RN, Recipient of de Tornyay Healthy Aging Scholar, BSN Class of 2018 and Anita Souza, PhD, Clinical Assistant Instructor, PhD Class of 2016 – Wellbeing: A Photovoice Exploration of Health among Older Adults Experiencing Homelessness.
- 2:45 –Katryna McCoy, PhD, FNP-C, Assistant Professor School of Nursing & Health Studies, Bothell PhD Class of 2012, de Tornyay Healthy Aging Scholar – Going On Living Despite HIV: The GOLDEN Study
- 3:00 – Break
- 3:30 – Kristen Childress, DNP, RN, Clinical Assistant Professor, DNP Class of 2009 – Homeward Bound: Creating A New Precedent in Eldercare
- 3:45 – Kwankaew Wongchareon, MSN, RN , PhD in Nursing Science Candidate, Ana C Sauer Liberato, PhD in Nursing Science Candidate, Erik J. Landaas, MPH, Graduate Student, Dept of Pharmacy – PupilScreen App: The Future of Detecting Brain Injury in the Palm of your Hands
- 4:00 – Sue McCurry, PhD, Research Professor, School of Nursing, Seattle, CISSM Faculty – Sleepless in Seattle: You’re Never too Old for a Good Night’s Sleep
- 4:15 – Hilaire Thompson, PhD, RN, ARNP, CNRN, AGACNP-BC, ACNPC-AG, FAAN, Joanne Montgomery Endowed Professor, Recipient of Roybal Center Funding – Fall Prevention: Can it be Fun and Games?
- 4:30 – Closing remarks – Basia Belza, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor and The Aljoya Endowed Professor in Aging, Director of de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging
We hope to see you there!