International applicants

International applicants must meet a few other requirements in addition to the nursing program application requirements.

Proof of English Proficiency

Non-native English speakers must provide proof of English language proficiency set by the UW School of Nursing. You can waive this requirement only if you either:

  1. have received a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited school in the United States, or from a school in the following countries:
    • Australia
    • The Bahamas
    • Canada
    • Ireland
    • Jamaica
    • Kenya
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • United Kingdom; or
  2. provide official documentation from your undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country not listed in #1 above) verifying that all instruction is in English. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
    • Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, university registrar, or Controller of Examinations office
    • Official transcripts, attested mark sheets, or degree statements if English is stated as the medium of instruction

An undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, and documentation must be given to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

For questions about whether you can waive this requirement, please contact the School of Nursing.

English Proficiency Scores

Submit one score for General English Proficiency (score must be from within the past two years).

If you do not successfully complete the English proficiency requirements, you cannot continue enrollment as a graduate student.

Minimum General Score: Reading, Writing, Comprehension*


Transcript Evaluations

You must send foreign transcript evaluations from an approved evaluation service for any college or university you have attended outside the United States.

Send official foreign transcripts to one of the evaluation services listed below for a course-by-course U.S. equivalency report. Have the evaluation reports sent to you.

Your application will include:

  1. Original foreign transcripts with English translations (if applicable; include in your online UW MyGrad application)
  2. Transcript evaluation reports (send to with the Subject “Foreign Transcript Evaluation for PhD”)

You do not need to submit a foreign transcript if you attended a foreign university through a study abroad program and the credits appear on your school’s transcript, but you must submit a foreign transcript and evaluation if you are using a course taken internationally as a prerequisite course.

Approved Transcript Evaluation Services

American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)

Foreign Education Credential Services

One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 520

Washington DC 20036-1135

Phone: (202) 296 3359


Center for Educational Documentation

P.O. Box 170116

Boston, MA 02117

Phone: (617) 338 7171


Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.

P.O. Box 514070

Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470

Phone: (414) 289 3400|

Education Evaluators International, Inc.

11 South Angell Street, #348

Providence, RI 02906

Phone: (401) 521 5340

Fax: (401) 437 6474


Foreign Credentials Service of America

1910 Justin Lane

Austin, TX 78757-2411

Phone: (512) 459 4565


International Education Evaluations, Inc.

7900 Matthews Mint Hill Rd., Suite 300

Charlotte, NC 28227

Phone: (704) 772 0109


International Education Research Foundation, Inc.

P.O. Box 3665

Culver City, CA 90231-3665

Phone: (310) 258 9451

Fax: (310) 342 7086


Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.

7101 SW 102nd Avenue

Miami, Florida 33173

Phone: (305) 273 1616

Fax: (305) 273 1338


Spantran: The Evaluation Company

2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 451

Houston, TX 77057

Phone: (713) 266 8805


World Education Services, Inc.

P.O. Box 5087

New York, NY 10274-5087

Phone: (212) 966 6311

Fax: (212) 739 6100