ABSN program requirements
International/non-native U.S. applicants to our BSN or ABSN programs must meet the University of Washington undergraduate requirements for international applicants in addition to the nursing program requirements:
International applicants include any F-1 student visa or any other type of temporary, non-immigrant visa.
DNP program requirements
International applicants must meet a few other requirements in addition to the nursing program application requirements. These requirements ensure your success in clinical placements and the overall program.
Proof of English Proficiency
Non-native English speakers must provide proof of English language proficiency set by the UW School of Nursing. You can waive this requirement only if you either:
- have received a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited school in the United States, or from a school in the following countries:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Kingdom; or
- provide official documentation from your undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country not listed in #1 above) verifying that all instruction is in English. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
- Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, university registrar, or Controller of Examinations office
- Official transcripts, attested mark sheets, or degree statements if English is stated as the medium of instruction
For questions about whether you can waive this requirement, please contact the School of Nursing.
English Proficiency Scores
Submit two scores, one from each category below (scores must be from within the past two years):
- 1 general minimum English proficiency score, and
- 1 speaking only score
Minimum General Score: Reading/Writing/Comprehension*
Minimum Spoken English Score
|TOEFLiBT||92||TOEFLiBT (speaking only)||26|
|TOEFLC||237||Versant English Test||70|
You must send foreign transcript evaluations from an approved evaluation service for any college or university you have attended outside the United States.
Send official foreign transcripts to one of the evaluation services listed below for a course-by-course U.S. equivalency report. Have the evaluation reports sent to you. Your application will include:
- Original foreign transcripts with English translations (if applicable; include in your online UW MyGrad application)
- Transcript evaluation reports (send to email@example.com with the Subject “Foreign Transcript Evaluation for DNP”)
You do not need to submit a foreign transcript if you attended a foreign university through a study abroad program and the credits appear on your school’s transcript, but you must submit a foreign transcript and evaluation if you are using a course taken internationally as a prerequisite course.
Approved Transcript Evaluation Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Foreign Education Credential Services
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 520
Washington DC 20036-1135
Center for Educational Documentation
P.O. Box 170116
Boston, MA 02117
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Education Evaluators International, Inc.
Foreign Credentials Service of America
1910 Justin Lane
Austin, TX 78757-2411
International Education Evaluations, Inc.
7900 Matthews Mint Hill Rd., Suite 300
Charlotte, NC 28227
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
7101 SW 102nd Avenue
Miami, Florida 33173
Spantran: The Evaluation Company
2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 451
Houston, TX 77057
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087