The GCPAPN application is fully online via the UW Graduate School website.
- You will submit a fee to the UW Graduate School when you apply.
- We do not require the GRE.
- If you have attended non-U.S. post-secondary college-level schools, you must submit an official transcript evaluation for each school attended to the UW School of Nursing (see Graduate Certificate application instructions for details).
Graduate certificate applications are due at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1 to begin study the following autumn.
Eligibility to apply
To apply to a graduate certificate, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Already have a graduate degree in nursing in an advanced practice specialization (required for all nursing advanced practice graduate certificates: Adult Geriatric NP, Midwifery, Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Acute Care, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Primary Care, Perinatal Nurse Specialist, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health NP). Please note: MN and DNP degree prepared applicants are eligible to apply to any of these graduate certificates, with the exception of Psychiatric Mental Health NP. This graduate certificate requires a DNP degree.
- Already have a graduate degree in another appropriate field, when applicable (required for Advanced Practice Environmental and Occupational Health and Palliative Care)
- Currently enrolled or have applied to be admitted and enrolled at the University of Washington in an appropriate graduate degree program and would complete the graduate certificate concurrent with this degree (graduate certificates cannot be awarded until degree is completed).
- This requirement applies to international applicants. Unless you are in the U.S. on an H visa (work visa), if you do not meet this criteria you cannot apply to a graduate certificate.
If you are bachelor’s-prepared RN and do not meet one of the above criteria, you should apply to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program instead.
- Graduate Certificate application instructions
- Online Graduate Certificate application
- School of Nursing Graduate School Application Supplemental Form
- Current résumé
- Three letters of recommendation
- Responses to the admissions questions (see instructions for prompts)
- Authorization for Background Check form (do not run the background check when you apply)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Foreign transcripts must include translated evaluations
- You do not need to include a foreign transcript if you attended a foreign university through a study abroad program and the credits appear on your school’s transcript
- Copies of scores from appropriate tests demonstrating English-language proficiency (reading, writing and comprehension as well as spoken) if appropriate