International applicants must meet a few other requirements in addition to the nursing graduate certificate application requirements.
Proof of English Proficiency
Non-native English speakers must provide proof of English language proficiency set by the UW School of Nursing. You can waive this requirement only if you either:
- have received a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited school in the United States, or from a school in the following countries:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Kingdom; or
- provide official documentation from your undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country not listed in #1 above) verifying that all instruction is in English. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
- Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, university registrar, or Controller of Examinations office
- Official transcripts, attested mark sheets, or degree statements if English is stated as the medium of instruction
An undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, and documentation must be given to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
For questions about whether you can waive this requirement, please contact the School of Nursing.
English Proficiency Scores
Submit one score for General English Proficiency (score must be from within the past two years). If you have a score lower than the scores indicated in the table below, you may still be admitted to the graduate certificate, but will be required to enroll in designated Academic English Program (AEP) courses during the first quarter of enrollment. Students enrolled in AEP courses pay additional fees.
If you do not successfully complete the English proficiency requirements, you cannot continue enrollment as a graduate student.
Minimum General Score: Reading, Writing, Comprehension*
You must send foreign transcript evaluations from an approved evaluation service for any college or university you have attended outside the United States.
Send official foreign transcripts to one of the evaluation services listed below for a course-by-course U.S. equivalency report. Have the evaluation reports sent to you.
Your application will include:
- Original foreign transcripts with English translations (if applicable; include in your online UW MyGrad application)
- Transcript evaluation reports (send to email@example.com with the Subject “Foreign Transcript Evaluation for GCPAPN”)
You do not need to submit a foreign transcript if you attended a foreign university through a study abroad program and the credits appear on your school’s transcript, but you must submit a foreign transcript and evaluation if you are using a course taken internationally as a prerequisite course.
Approved Transcript Evaluation Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Foreign Education Credential Services
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 520
Washington DC 20036-1135
Phone: (202) 296 3359
Center for Educational Documentation
P.O. Box 170116
Boston, MA 02117
Phone: (617) 338 7171
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: (414) 289 3400|
Education Evaluators International, Inc.
Foreign Credentials Service of America
1910 Justin Lane
Austin, TX 78757-2411
Phone: (512) 459 4565
International Education Evaluations, Inc.
7900 Matthews Mint Hill Rd., Suite 300
Charlotte, NC 28227
Phone: (704) 772 0109
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258 9451
Fax: (310) 342 7086
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
7101 SW 102nd Avenue
Miami, Florida 33173
Phone: (305) 273 1616
Fax: (305) 273 1338
Spantran: The Evaluation Company
2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 451
Houston, TX 77057
Phone: (713) 266 8805
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: (212) 966 6311
Fax: (212) 739 6100