UW Nurse Camp
UW Nurse Camp
Current high school sophomores and juniors who are interested in learning about the nursing field and how to get into nursing school are invited to apply to the UW School of Nursing Nurse Camp.
This is a free week-long day camp geared towards increasing access and opportunities in nursing to minority and low-income high school sophomores and juniors who are at least 16 years of age by the first day of camp. Students from all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- If you live outside the Seattle area, overnight accommodations, transportation to and from the UW, and meals outside of UW Nurse Camp are your responsibility.
- You must be sixteen years of age by the first day of UW Nurse Camp; there are no exceptions to this requirement.
- We do not accept high school freshmen or seniors to UW Nurse Camp.
UW Nurse Camp 2017 will be July 17-21, 2017.
UW Nurse Camp Activities
UW Nurse Campers participate in a wide variety of activities throughout the week, including:
- Shadowing nurses at UWMC in various hospital units
- Completing CPR certification and HIPAA training
- about infection control and proper hand washing techniques
- how to take blood pressure and vitals
- how to prepare for college and getting into nursing school
- in the School of Nursing learning and simulation lab and the UW Medical Center’s Institute for Simulation and Professional Studies (ISIS)
- Participating in nursing “speed rounds,” where you will meet and talk with nurses working in all areas of health care, including forensics, public health, emergency and research
- Touring the UW Seattle campus
- Meeting new friends
- Getting cool free stuff!
How to Participate in UW Nurse Camp
You are eligible to apply for UW Nurse Camp if you:
- will be sixteen years of age by the first day of Nurse Camp (there are no exceptions to this requirement)
- will have completed your sophomore or junior year of high school by Summer 2017 (freshmen and seniors are not eligible)
- demonstrate an interest in nursing
While UW Nurse Camp is geared towards serving applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds (economic, geographic, education), are underrepresented in nursing or are the first in their family to go to college, all are welcome and encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants should download and submit the following no later than April 14, 2017:
- UW Nurse Camp Application (PDF)
- Your current high school transcript (ask your counselor how to get yours)
- A completed recommendation form from a science teacher, academic adviser, employer, volunteer supervisor or school nurse; someone who is a mentor to you and knows your goals and has had a direct influence on you wanting to become a nurse
Email your complete application form only as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail hard copies of all application materials to:
UW Nurse Camp
University of Washington School of Nursing
Student and Academic Services
Seattle, WA 98195-7260
Students are selected based on how well they match themselves and their interests to the field of nursing. Space is limited to the twenty-four most qualified applicants who meet our eligibility requirements.
Sponsor UW Nurse Camp
UW Nurse Camp is run by the SoN Diversity Awareness Group (DAwGs), a registered student organization. We depend on contributions made by individuals, organizations, community groups and local restaurants.
Fund a UW Nurse Camper
It takes about $250 per student for the entire week of UW Nurse Camp. This total includes a nutritious breakfast, lunch, snacks, and related supplies such as scrub tops, volunteer t-shirts, notebooks, pens, and bus tickets so campers can get to and from campus during the week.
Through the generosity of contributors, we are able to keep this camp free of charge for participants. Please consider making a donation: a little goes a long way!
- $250 sponsors one camper for the entire week
- $50 sponsors one camper for one day of the five-day camp
All UW Nurse Camp donations are tax-deductible.