This policy applies to undergraduate and graduate international students (F-1 Visa students) enrolled in SoN degree programs (BSN through PhD).
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a temporary training authorization for work directly related to a student’s major field of study. CPT is authorized by the UW International Student Services office (ISS) in accordance with F-1 Visa regulations. Training is defined as paid work, internship, practicum, etc.
- Students are eligible to apply for CPT on the following conditions:
- Student is enrolled in a major and has a valid F-1 Visa
- Student has been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year
- Student will earn the degree at UW
- Student’s department or college requires internship, practicum, paid work experience as part of the degree program (Required training must be clearly identified and described in the course catalog of the degree program)
- Student’s department or college states that “training” is integral (optional but not required) to the established curriculum. For optional training, student must receive academic credit for each quarter of training from the department/college in order to receive CPT authorization.
The School of Nursing does not require paid employment or internships for any of its degree programs.
The School of Nursing will not award academic credit for paid employment to undergraduate or graduate students.
The School of Nursing does not provide internships (paid or unpaid) for undergraduate or graduate students.
The School of Nursing will not support CPT for undergraduate and graduate students.
Created August 2013
Student and Academic Services Memo No. 47