Perinatal Mental Health (PMH) is in transition to be offered as a certificate focusing on mental health knowledge and skills during pregnancy and postpartum phase. It is no longer offered as a sub-specialization within the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) track.
Graduates of the PMH focus will be able to:
- Conduct accurate mental health assessment of pregnant women and in their postpartum phase based on DSM criteria.
- Have cutting edge psycho-pharmacological knowledge along with skills that will help women and their families make appropriate treatment decisions
- Conduct psychodynamic and other interpersonal therapy with these women and their families
- Have basic understanding about the natures of dyadic interactions between mother and child and have basic skills for interventions and making referrals.
- Understand variations of perinatal mental health issues across cultures and socioeconomic variable differences.