You have a current (less than two years old) EDP on file with goals that include this training or course or you have updated your EDP to include a goal served by this training/course. Ongoing discussions between leader and staff are critical to ensure that customer needs can be met and to allow co-workers the opportunity to plan for absences. Employees should be performing well in their current jobs. If a class is conducted during regular work hours, the employee must:
Provide information to your leaders on time taking the course entails, and any funding required
Gain approval from their supervisor
Submit any applicable forms to your supervisor and, once signed, to School of Nursing Human Resources, Box 357260, or email@example.com.
- Review the rules and guidelines regarding release time and flex time (below).
Per A 21.J.16, grant-funded employees are eligible to take training and development as part of Finance & Administration (F&A) costs, and as described in Executive Order 52. Grant funded employees may also take training that is included in the grant budgets.
A-21 J, 16 states:
16. Employee morale, health, and welfare costs and costs.
a. The costs of employee information publications, health or first-aid clinics and/or infirmaries, recreational activities, employee counseling services, and any other expenses incurred in accordance with the institution's established practice or custom for the improvement of working conditions, employer-employee relations, employee morale, and employee performance are allowable.
b. Such costs will be equitably apportioned to all activities of the institution. Income generated from any of these activities will be credited to the cost thereof unless such income has been irrevocably set over to employee welfare organizations.
While “a” does not specify that the cost is allowable as an F&A cost only, “b” does state that the cost is to be apportioned to all activities of the institution. This is interpreted by UW’s Assistant Director for Post Award Financial Compliance in Research Accounting and Analysis who says that the cost is allowable as part of F&A.
Budget resources and release time related to training and conferences should be prioritized based on:
- Developing skills that are necessary for a staff to meet performance expectations
- Developing and/or enhancing immediately-applicable skills
- Supporting changes to compliance
- Building organizational and/or supervisory competencies
All training requests should take into account:
- Impact on employee work schedule and on current projects and job responsibilities
- Impact on other team members
- It is the responsibility of the individual to register for the particular class.
- For those using the Tuition Exemption Program, the employee must also complete the State Tuition Exemption Program Form
Release Time and Flex Time
All SoN employees, no matter the funding source, are eligible for release time according to UW policy in Executive Order No. 52. Release time is defined as that time during which an employee is released from normal work duties and compensated at the regular rate of pay to attend staff Professional & Organizational Development programs designed to assist in developing and/or improving job skills.
This policy covers classes, etc. offered by campus training providers and allows for a maximum of 24 hours per quarter, plus travel time, for training and development. However, any release time which results in overtime or comp time is not an allowable charge for employees whose salaries are covered by grant funds. SoN views release time as time away from regular work process/product and customer service duties to learn about new ideas and develop new job-related skills.
The granting of release time, then, is based on four factors:
- The applicability to the employee's approved EDP.
- The content of the class/opportunity being clearly job-related.
- The operational needs of the department/unit being met, and
- The position's requirements allowing for the employee to be away for up to 24 hours per quarter.
At the discretion of the supervisor, flex time is appropriately used to encourage the pursuit of a degree or a professional/personal development opportunity through a program of study that does not directly apply to the job. The granting of flex time is based solely on the operational needs of the department/unit and the requirements of the employee's position.
Flex time and/or release time may be used solely to support class attendance during regular work hours. It is not considered an appropriate use of state funds to use work time for the purpose of study or completion of assignments outside of class. These activities must be completed outside of the individual's normal work hours.
Funding for Training
Available resources will be allocated with consideration for access to training, and in the following order:
- Training needed to meet current or future needs of the department/SoN
- Training to advance the department/SoN
- Training for job-related personal growth and development
Whenever possible, training classes will be supported and reimbursed by central SoN funds. There may be occasions, however, when shared or employee payment will occur if individual training requests are not related to future department/SoN needs, or when the individual prefers resources other than what is normally offered. For example, if an employee wants to pursue a master’s degree at a private or for-profit school/college but a similar resource is available through the UW and at less cost, then the employee should expect to cover the costs.
- You must be eligible for reimbursement (see Eligibility).
- You must have proof of payment (charge card receipt, canceled check, bank statement, etc.).
- If reimbursement is requested for another other than UW POD classes/certificates, a copy of the college-released transcript or other proof of completion (showing at the minimum a “C” grade or 2.0 for the class(es) if applicable), must be submitted.
- Documentation should be attached to the EDP and sent to UW School of Nursing Human Resources at Box 357260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please allow 2 weeks' processing time for reimbursement requests.