DEADLINE: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 - 5:00 PM
Teaching Assistant Position 25% FTE - Autumn Quarter 2015
A Teaching Assistant is needed in the Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems to teach NCLIN 306: Practicum: Basic Skills of Nursing Practice. This undergraduate course provides our students with opportunity to provide supervised beginning nursing care to ill adults and their families. Emphasizes communication, interviewing and health assessment, nursing care planning and documentation, and psychomotor skill development. The course will be scheduled on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays 7 AM - 3 PM.
Roles and Responsibilities of the TA include:
- Onboarding with clinical agency prior to start of quarter
- Work together with the lead instructor to supervise undergraduate nursing students in the clinical agency on medical/surgical units
- Identifying appropriate clinical learning opportunities for students in order to enable completion of course objectives
- Mentoring and providing feedback to students
- Contributing to midterm and final student evaluations
- Attendance during regularly scheduled class time (7A-3P)
- Participation in weekly connected teaching meetings (1 hour/week)
- Leading small group discussions in post-conference
- Managing and responding to course related email
- Evaluation of weekly case notes and care plans
- Assist with development and implementation of course content
- Must be Nursing Graduate Student in good standing
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required; Master’s degree or higher preferred
- Active Registered Nursing License in State of Washington required
- Recent experience in adult medical-surgical or critical care nursing in the hospital setting required
- Must have strong organizational skills
- Expertise or interest in working with undergraduate nursing students in clinical settings
Duration: Autumn Quarter 2015: Autumn pay period runs September 16-December 15, 2015. Exact dates and hours of employment will be arranged between the TA and Vice Chair for Education, Dr. Hilaire Thompson.
Applications: Please send an email with your resume and cover letter that highlights relevant experience to Hilaire Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the position and course number you are applying for in the subject line, by Wednesday August 5, 2015 at 5:00p.
Your appointment classifies you as an Academic Student Employee (ASE) and is governed by a contract between the UW and UAW Local 4121: http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/laborrel/contracts/uaw/contract/preamble.html
- You can elect to join the UW/UAW Academic Student Employee (ASE) union. For more information, refer to the Union contract details on the site: http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/laborrel/contracts/uaw/contract/a28.html
- In order to maintain eligibility for your appointment and its benefits, you must be enrolled in at least 10 credits (or 2 credits during the Summer Quarter).
Note: Non-U.S. citizens hired to perform teaching duties must (1) meet English language proficiency requirements and (2) participate fully in the International Teaching Assistant Program at the Center for Instructional Development and Research (CIDR). Documentation will be requested prior to appointment.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206.543.6450 / 206.543.6452 (TTY) or email@example.com