Visiting Graduate Student Status
The University of Washington (UW) School of Nursing accepts a limited number of Visiting Graduate Students on a space available basis from institutions with which the School has a global partnership agreement. Students from other institutions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. This opportunity is intended to enable pursuit of nursing content at the graduate level unavailable at the student's home institution; it is not intended to provide individualized study or faculty mentorship.
Inquiries should be e-mailed to Jocelyn Maher, Program Coordinator for International Programs (email@example.com).
Eligibility for Application to Visiting Graduate Student Status
- be enrolled in a masters or doctoral degree program at an institution with which the School has a Memorandum of Understanding at the time of application and throughout the period of study at the UW. Students from other institutions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- submit complete application materials by the April 1-Autumn Quarter; July 1-Winter Quarter; October 1-Spring Quarter deadline, following the application instructions below in their entirety.
- be accepted by both the University of Washington Graduate School and the School of Nursing in order to begin the program of study.
Please note: Visa regulations require that international students enroll full time (at least ten credits) during their stay in the United States.
Applicants to Visiting Graduate Student status must apply at least 6 months ahead of the date they wish to enroll in courses at the UW School of Nursing. Because of the length of time necessary to process visa documents, the School will not accept applications submitted less than six months before the intended start date. Visiting Graduate Students cannot come to the University of Washington for less than a full quarter of study and must enroll full time. Students seeking Summer enrollment as a visiting graduate student must also attend for an additional consecutive quarter.
Application can be made much easier by reading the following directions. Please read all directions before you start the application process.
- Visit the University of Washington's Graduate School website for the online application.
- Visiting Graduate Student applicants must submit an online application to the University of Washington Graduate School. Complete the application at: https://www.grad.uw.edu/applForAdmiss/
- Pay special attention to the information for international applicants and for Visiting Graduate Students.
- When you begin the application process, the first screen you will see will ask you to choose Visiting Graduate Student or Graduate Non-Matriculated. Select Visiting Graduate. The next step will ask you to select your visiting graduate program. Select Nursing: Seattle Campus and then click Save and Continue.
- Applicants for Visiting Graduate Student status must submit an application at least 6 months ahead of the date they wish to enter the UW School of Nursing.
Graduate School Application Procedures
Visiting graduate applicants follow the same applications procedures as other applicants and apply online to the Graduate School. However, visiting graduate applicants must also submit a Certificate of Status Form and then have it signed by the chair of their division or the dean of their college. The signed Certificate of Status Form should be returned to the Graduate School.
To the UW School of Nursing (Box 357260, Seattle, WA 98195-7260):
- The TOEFL-IBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required with a minimum score of 92; International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 7.0., but may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- A statement of no more than two pages, clearly titled Visiting Graduate Student Goal Statement, that includes:
- identification of the applicant's area of focus within nursing
- a statement of goals for the applicant's proposed period of time as a Visiting Graduate Student
- Completed International Programs Inquiry Request
Send documents for the School of Nursing to Jocelyn Maher, Program Coordinator for International Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What To Expect as a Visiting Graduate Student
This opportunity is intended to enable pursuit of nursing content at the graduate level unavailable at the visitor's home institution; it is not intended to provide individualized study or faculty mentorship.
Visiting Graduate Students at the UW School of Nursing must enroll for a minimum of one quarter of study, taking at least 10 credits each quarter. Students seeking Summer enrollment as a visiting graduate student must also attend for an additional consecutive quarter. Course enrollment is on a space-available basis.
Visiting Graduate Students do not have a faculty advisor and thus do not receive faculty advice or oversight for thesis or dissertation preparation. Students cannot enroll in clinical courses (NCLIN). Other restrictions may apply.
Excellence in written and spoken English is key to a successful experience.
Visiting graduate students often benefit greatly by connecting with the Foundation for International Understanding Through Students (FIUTS) prior to and during their stay.
Any and all international students MUST check in with International Student Services within 7 days of arriving in the United States.
If international students do not check in with International Student Services in a timely manner, they risk having their registration canceled, deportation, and potentially being permanently barred from entering the United States.
For more information, please contact ISS at (206) 221-7857, at 459B Schmitz Hall, or on the Web at http://iss.washington.edu/.