The Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship encourages and assists students currently enrolled in a degree program at the University of Washington School of Nursing to seek experiences of immersion in health care and society in a culture very different from their own, either internationally or in this country.
The Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship supports travel expenses for experiences that extend significantly beyond course requirements. Students formulate a plan for learning with a faculty sponsor, establish a relationship with a sponsor at the site, arrange their own accommodations, cover additional expenses of their one- to three-month stays, and share their experiences upon return.
The scholarship was named Citizens of the World by Dean Emeritus Sue T. Hegyvary, who implemented it as an outgrowth of multiple interests and opportunities within the School, and who taught in Uzbekistan. A tile featured in the Peace Park of Seattle’s Sister City, Tashkent, reads, "citizens of the world." Financial support for the Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship comes entirely from private gifts and is an important source of sustained funding that allows the School to support the international engagement and global health endeavors of its students.
- Find an opportunity or consider creating an independent experience! Read through our Tips for the Process. Explore a variety of opportunities, including faculty-led Exploration Seminars.
- Download and read the Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship Introduction letter.
- Download the Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship application packet and submit:
All applications must be received no later than 5:00pm on Friday, April 24, 2015.
How to Submit
- Email: Scan completed and signed documents and send as attachments to email@example.com with the subject link, "[YOUR NAME] HCOTW 2015"
- Mail: To mail in a hard copy of the application, please address the envelope as follows:
HCOTW 2015 Application
c/o Jocelyn Maher
University of Washington School of Nursing
Student and Academic Services
Seattle, WA 98195
You may also hand-deliver the envelope to the Health Sciences Building, Room T-301.
After Receiving Support
If your application to receive support from the Hegyvary Citizens of the World Scholarship is successful, you will find these documents useful:
- Award Recipients' Responsibilities and Requirements
- Award Reimbursement Instructions
- UW Standards of Conduct Form
- Study Abroad Emergency Contact Form
- Student Checklist
- THANK YOU note to donor
- Promptly write a THANK YOU note to your sponsors
- Provide a copy of your final travel itinerary as per Award Reimbursement Instructions form
- Post-Experience Report and Evaluation
- Announcement of your presentation to the community