Healthy Aging Undergraduate Nursing Scholarships
Undergraduate scholarships encourage junior and senior baccalaureate nursing students to carry out a research project in the field of aging. Under the mentorship of a nursing faculty member, students are encouraged to examine questions of direct relevance to pre-existing studies or develop their own research projects and complete the project over two quarters. A limited number of scholarships, supported by our community partners, may be available for specific projects focused on designated areas of gerontological nursing. The award amount is $2,000.
Students are eligible to apply if they:
- Are an undergraduate Junior or Senior student at UW School of Nursing or one of the Nursing Programs at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
- Are enrolled full-time
- Have a faculty advisor to serve as a sponsor or mentor in guiding their research project
Selection for the award is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to gerontology, aging
- Significance of the proposed project
- Feasibility for project completion by end of current academic year
- Progress in your educational program
- Commitment to gerontology
- Quality of the application
In addition, preference is given to those who have:
- Need for financial assistance
- Haven’t received a previous Healthy Aging Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded annually. Scholarship awardees and their mentors are asked to sign a Learning Contract that identifies mutual responsibilities. Projects must be completed by the end of Spring Quarter.
Several members of the nursing faculty are willing to help you with your research project. To identify a possible mentor for your project, you may identify and contact a faculty member who shares your interests from the UW SON faculty directory or from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma.
If you are awarded a scholarship, you may obtain academic credit for NMETH 499 (Undergraduate Research/Independent Study) with your faculty advisor.
If you have any questions or would like help in identifying or selecting a mentor, please contact Heather Wicklein Sanchez, Manager of the de Tornyay Center, (206) 616-4276 or email@example.com
October 20, 2014
Applications Due this year
|February 14, 2015|
Healthy Aging Undergraduate Scholars 2014-2015 Mid-term Status Report due 5:00 pm
|TBA||Presentation of projects at the Healthy Aging Scholars Presentations and Reception|
|May 16, 2015|
Healthy Aging Undergraduate Scholars 2014-2015 Final Report due 5:00 pm.