Ellen Zahlis photo
Ellen Zahlis, MN, has been a member of the Family Functioning in chronic Illlness research team for over 25 years. Her current position is as Research Manager and interventionist. In addition to her work as a manager, she is also a program designer for intervention studies. Her clinical research and community practice focus on the individual and family experience with cancer.
Selected recent publications include:
- Zahlis, E.H. & Lewis, F.M. (2010). Coming to grips with breast cancer: The spouse’s experience with his wife’s first six months. J Psychosocial Oncology, 28 (1). 79-97. PMCID: PMC2856107.
- Lewis, F.M., Cochrane, B.B., Fletcher, K.A., Zahlis, E.H, Shands, M.E., Gralow, J.R., Wu, S.M., & Schmitz, K. (2008). Helping Her Heal: A pilot study of an educational counseling intervention for spouses of women with breast cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 17 (2), 131–137. PMID: 17429834.
- Lewis, F.M., Casey, S.M, Brandt, P.A., Shands, M.E., and Zahlis, E.H. (2006). The Enhancing Connections Program: A pilot evaluation of a cognitive-behavioral intervention for mothers and children affected by breast cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 15(6), 486-497. PMID: 16216035.
- Lewis, F.M., Casey, S.M, Brandt, P.A., Shands, M.E., and Zahlis, E.H. (2003). A pilot study of the Enhancing Connections Program: Helping families with breast cancer.
- Lewis, F.M., Cochrane, B., Zahlis, E.H., and Casey, S. (2003). Enhancing the single woman's adjustment to breast cancer: A pilot intervention study.
- Zahlis, E.H. (2001). The child's worries about the mom's breast cancer: Sources of distress in school-age children." Oncology Nursing Forum, 28 (6), pp. 1019-1025.
- Lewis, F.M., Behar, L.C., Anderson, K.H., Zahlis, E.H., Darby, E. & Sinsheimer, J. (2000). Blowing away the myths about the child's experience with the mother's breast cancer. In L. Baider, C.K. Cooper, and A. Kaplan De-Nour (Eds), Cancer and the Family, 2nd edition, (pp. 201-221). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Shands, M.E., Lewis, F.M., & Zahlis, E.H. (2000). Mother and child interactions about the mother’s breast cancer: An interview study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 27(1), 77-85. PMID: 10660925.
- Zahlis, E.H., & Lewis, F.M. (1998). The mother’s story of the school age child’s experience with the mother’s breast cancer. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 16(2), 25-43.
- Lewis, F.M. & Zahlis, E.H. (1997). The nurse as coach: A conceptual framework for clinical practice. Oncology Nursing Forum, 26, 1695-1702. PMID: 9399268.
- Lewis, F.M., Zahlis, E.H. Shands, M.E., Sinsheimer, J.A., & Hammond, M.A. (1996). The functioning of single women with breast cancer and their school-aged children. Cancer Practice, 4(1), 1-10. PMID: 8788766.
- Zahlis, E.H., & Shands, M.E.(1993). The impact of breast cancer on the partner eighteen months following diagnosis. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 9(2), 83-37.
- Zahlis, E.H., & Shands, M.E. (1991). Breast cancer: Demands of illness on the partner. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 9(1), 75-93.
- Shands, M.E., & Zahlis, E.H. (1990). Families and illness. In W.J. Phipps, B.C. Long, N.F. Woods, & V.L. Cassmeyer (Eds.), Medical-surgical nursing concepts and clinical practice, 4th edition, (pp. 121-131). St. Louis, MO: C.V. Mosby
- Pesznecker, B. & Zahlis, E. H. (1986). Establishing mutual-help groups for family member caregivers: A new role for community health nurses. Public Health Nursing, 3(1), 2937.