Each new employee is “on-boarded”, also called inprocessing or orientation. There are different contact people for each category of employee to be on-boarded. Permanent staff are on-boarded by the department administrator, supervisor and payroll coordinator General on-boarding for all employees:
- Confirm job title, salary, start/end dates, name of supervisor.
- Identify workstation or office
- Get payroll and time accounting set up with payroll coordinator.
- Meet co-workers and key people, get tour of team and department areas.
- Get job description and priorities from supervisor.
- Get UW email, computer, printing and network access set up.
- Work out commuting and parking.
Specific Onboarding for Permanent Staff
With supervisor and administrator before start date
- Confirm job title, name of supervisor, start date, salary rate and %, duration of position, expected attire.
- Determine schedule with supervisor, including first day instructions.
- Learn commuting options at Commuter Services.
- Plan to bring passport or license/SSN card, and cancelled check on first day for payroll entry.
First 1-2 Days
- Report to assigned section or to supervisor’s office. Meet supervisor or section representative.
- Locate workstation and secure areas for valuables.
- Identify time with your supervisor to do onboarding.
- Get tour of team and department areas, meet key people, get door codes.
- Walk around building, locate rest of School, eating places, evacuation instructions.
- Get UW email set up with supervisor or email@example.com (TIER tech support).
- See Emma Lorenzo, payroll coordinator, room T611 for EID #, payroll and time accounting set up.
- If new to UW as a permanent staff person, do the online employee orientation.
First 1-2 weeks
- Get Husky card.
- See Emma Lorenzo, room T611, for keys, building ID, access card, HIPAA training.
- See Katie Karr, facilities, room T609, for work station set up, mailbox, supplies
- Get network access as needed.
- Update personal and directory info on MyUW.
- Set up voice mail for office phone. Request UWATS code for long distance if needed.
- Work out computer, network access, printing. Contact TIER for assistance.
- Set up parking/commuting.
- Learn safety procedures, including SafeCampus, and U Alert. Do personal emergency planning.
- Access My Nursing, get familiar with School Sharepoint site.
- Get copy code, how to use copier. Get email entered into copier for scanning.
- Get written job description from supervisor. (not the same as job posting)
- Start credentialing process if work location requires it.
- Request IRB training if scheduled to work with human subjects.
- Review FERPA if scheduled to work with student information.
First 4-6 weeks
- Attend UW Benefits briefing and submit benefits forms, Register at this location.
- Attend Prevention of Sexual Harassment training. Register at this location.
- Identify UW systems authorizations needed and request from administrator.
- Review UW CareLink benefit at this location.
- Meet with department administrator to review status of on-boarding.
- Decide whether to join SEIU union if “contract classified”. If so, complete required forms.
- Learn about dept activities. Get picture posted on staff site.
- Request travel card if travelling is part of responsibilities. Learn travel procedures.