School of Nursing Funding Sources

Scholarships & Fellowships

  • Scholarship funding packages:  New incoming PhD and DNP top scholars are offered scholarship funding packages in their acceptance letter!  Currently there are eight (8) packages ranging from $18,000 to $27,000 per academic year (Autumn, Winter and Spring).  Average funding is from one (1) to three (3) years dependent on the type of award.  Funding is not guaranteed beyond what is written in the original award letter.
  • The Firland Foundation Graduate Pulmonary Nursing Fellowship: Provides a $30,000 award for one (1) to two (2) years to one nursing graduate student who is dedicated to tuberculosis and/or pulmonary nursingPreference is given to students who plan to practice in the Pacific Northwest after graduation. A call for applications is sent out in early September each year to enrolled nursing students. For more information about the Firland Foundation and this Fellowship, see:
  • Geraldine Allen Term Scholarship: Awarded to those who are interested in becoming nurse educators.  This award is for $7,500 per year for up to five (5) years.
  • Helene Health Trust Endowed Scholarship Fund:  Funding is awarded to undergraduate students who have financial need for up to $6,000 per year for tuition, books, and educational expenses.
  • Jean & Robert Reid Scholarships/Fellowships: Scholarship and fellowship packages for undergraduates for $12,000 per year and graduates for $18,300 for Washington State residents or those who have attended school in Washington State for grades 6 through 12.
  • Lorraine Troop Endowed Scholarship:  Funding is awarded for academic merit and financial need for graduate students from $7,500 to $9,000 for tuition support per year.
  • Carol Purvis Endowed Fellowship in Nursing:  Funding is awarded for academic merit and financial need for graduate students from $7,500 for tuition or living expenses/student insurance support per year.
  • Maryam Irene Rassoulian Endowed Scholarship in Nursing:  Funding is awarded to undergraduate students who are Washington State residents, have financial need, and a 3.5 GPA for $6,000 per year for tuition and books.
  • Hester McLaws Nursing Dissertation Scholarship. Funding up to $3,500 for dissertation-related expenses. Available to any PhD student who has passed their General Exam.
  • Scholarship Travel Awards: Each Autumn and Spring, travel award announcements are sent out to all graduate students who will be attending and presenting at a national conference to help offset the cost.  Awards are up to $500 per student for those who apply and qualify. 
  • Other scholarship funding: Money made possible by gifts from the School's alumni and friends. Some undergraduate awards cover in-state tuition for one (1) academic year. Some tuition for graduate students is covered as well as stipends and student insurance.  These awards range from $3,000 to $18,000.

Traineeships/Research & Assistantships/RA, TA, and SA Positions

  • Federal money may be awarded to the School of Nursing for graduate students. Amount of funding varies per year and may pay tuition with or without a monthly stipend. Traineeships for specific areas of study include the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Traineeship for Occupational Health Nursing students and the Comprehensive Geriatric Education Program (CGEP) Traineeships for Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner students.
  • Pre- and Post-Doctoral Training Programs/Fellowship Awards: Fund tuition and/or stipends for PhD and post-doctoral students.
  • Research and Teaching Assistantships: Priority is given to doctoral students who work 20 hours per week in exchange for tuition waiver and health insurance coverage. Openings will be posted via email to all eligible students.
  • University of Washington School of Nursing graduate students may be eligible for departmental funding. Submit an approved proposal (PhD students) or project/thesis plan (master's students) to your department chair. Funding is limited.
  • Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) and Staff Assistant (SA) positions are offered as sources of financial support.  Positions are listed on the School of Nursing Funding Support blog.  These positions are offered each quarter and some run for more than one quarter. All students applying for these positions need to be proficient with English.  UW requires English Language Proficiency (ELPR) of all new freshmen and transfer students regardless of residency status. See: and These positions are competitive and have a student union.
  • The School encourages all students to apply for student positions and other means of financial support to further their educational experience.

Nurse Faculty Loan Program

The SoN receives funding from HRSA for NFLP to fund graduate students who plan to become nursing faculty members upon graduation. Eighty-five percent ( 85%) of the loan can be forgiven if the graduate works as a faculty member for four years (20% forgiven for each of the first three years of full time work and the remaining 25% forgiven for a fourth year of full time work, totaling 85% forgiven). The loan can be used for tuition, fees, books, and educational supplies.

To be eligible, you must be a PhD, DNP, or master's student in good standing, a US citizen, and plan to teach in a faculty role upon graduation. Leave of absence or registering for less than five (5) credits triggers the pay-back process. We will receive information if awarded for continued funding in summer-fall every year.

If interested, CHECK the NFLP BOX ON THE FRONT PAGE of the SoN Financial Support Application form. Funding is offered first to students who are already receiving funding and then to other students on first come, first served basis. Notices are sent to the student email lists once funding is obtained from HRSA. This loan is NOT based on need. Funding is up to $35,500 per year (4 quarters) as determined by the UW OSFA from the FAFSA.

International Students

  • The School of Nursing follows the University of Washington policy that all international students have financial support for the first year of their education as dictated in their U.S. 1-20 VISA and must plan to fully support themselves in Year 1.
  • International students may apply for scholarship support for Years 2 and 3.  Scholarship support is based on satisfactory progress and GPA.  Year 1 progress will be assessed and used as a basis for financial scholarship support in Years 2 and 3.
  • International students are encouraged to apply for TA, RA and SA positions.  Students applying for these positions need to be proficient with English;  UW requires English Language Proficiency (ELPR) of all new freshmen and transfer students regardless of residency status.  If students are struggling with English, they are strongly urged to take English courses the first year while they are in school.  See: