Once it has been formally appointed, your Supervisory Committee takes over the role of your faculty advisor and guides your program of study through conferral of the doctoral degree. You are encouraged, in your second quarter of the program, to begin interviewing faculty members who might serve as your Supervisory Chairperson and/or on your Supervisory Committee, and to finalize your committee early in your second year of study. Your initial faculty advisor may or may not be part of your Supervisory Committee—this decision an open one for students.
- Role of Your Supervisory Committee
- Composition of Your PhD Supervisory Committee
- Steps in the Selection of Your PhD Supervisory Committee
The Supervisory Committee:
- picks up where the faculty advisor left off, advises and mentors the student through the remainder of the doctoral program, working together with the student to discuss and plan choices in course work and dissertation work and to explore specific areas of study that will support individual educational goals;
- submits, through the chair, quarterly progress notes to the student's file;
- evaluates the proposed program of study using a set of established guidelines;
- formally approves the student's program of study for the student file;
- conducts oral and written General Examinations;
- guides research for the dissertation; and
- recommends the dissertation for approval and the student for the doctoral degree.
The Supervisory Committee must meet at least three times: to approve the program of study, to conduct the general examination (GSR must be present), and to conduct the final examination (GSR must be present). Although not required, committees may also meet to approve the dissertation proposal by using the Dissertation Approval Form.
Consider the ability of selected members to work together as well as required expertise. You and your Committee will develop approaches of working together that blend your individual needs as well as academic scholarship guidance and evaluation expected of the Committee by the University. Ongoing discussions, negotiations and clarifications of strategies and expectations are important processes between you and you Committee to assure the best functioning for meeting overall goals.
- Read Graduate School Memorandum No. 13, as well as Considerations for Selecting a Supervisory Committee Chair and Members.
- During the first year of your doctoral program, talk with your faculty advisor about members of the faculty who share your research interests, and might potentially be appropriate to guide your dissertation research.
- Interview graduate faculty who share your research and methodological interests to consider who might be an appropriate chair for your Supervisory Committee. Remember, your prospective chairperson is selected first.
- You and your prospective chairperson will identify likely candidates for the rest of the committee. Consider the ability of potential members to work together as well as their required expertise.
- Interview potential Supervisory Committee members and confirm their willingness to serve as a member of your Supervisory Committee.
- Submit a written letter of request for the appointment of your Supervisory Committee to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. An electronic letter sent by e-mail attachment is acceptable. If you select committee members from outside the University of Washington, you must include a justification for that member's selection in your letter of request. His or her contact information and curriculum vitae should be included.
- Submit a completed Use of Human and Animal Subjects for UW Graduate Student Theses and Dissertations form to Academic Services. This form is required whether or not your research will require an IRB review. If you are unsure about whether or not your research will require IRB approval, speak to your committee chair and consult these guidelines. If this form is not submitted, final approval of your committee is delayed until the form is received.
- The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs is the School of Nursing Graduate Program Coordinator. The Associate Dean will review your letter of request and forward it, via Academic Services, to the Graduate School for appointment and approval of the individual committee members.
- Your Supervisory Committee is appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School.
- Establish a schedule of regular appointments with your supervisory chair in order to enhance progression in your program of study within your time frame for completion.