GNM Course Registration

Once you have received notification that you have been admitted to the School of Nursing as a GNM student, you will also be assigned a School of Nursing GNM coordinator. All GNM students are required to meet with his or her assigned coordinator to plan course work before registering.

A limit of twelve (12) credits can be applied to your focal area should you be subsequently admitted to the School of Nursing as a matriculated student. If you plan to transfer credits from a graduate nursing program at another school and apply UW GNM credits towards a School of Nursing degree, you are limited to a maximum combined total of 12 credits. GNM credit may also apply to residency requirements for graduate degrees. You may wish to consider reading more about GNM status before you register.

Registration Process

Meet with your assigned coordinator to plan your course work before registering.

Non-Tuition Exempt Students

If you are a non-tuition exempt student, follow the guidelines for Non-Degree Registration:

  • You will need to complete the following forms:
  • You must register and pay course fees before the first day of the quarter or you will be assessed a late fee.

Tuition Exempt Eligible Students

If you are a UW or eligible Washington State employee and plan to register as a tuition-exempt student, following the guidelines for Tuition Exemption Registration:

  • You submit a Tuition Exemption Request form in advance of the start of the quarter you are registering for.
  • Because enrollment for tuition exempt students is on a space-available basis, you will not register until the first week of the quarter.
  • You register online through MyUW.
  • The tuition exempt registration fee and quarterly technology fee will be billed to your student account, as well as tuition for any credits over 6 credits.

School of Nursing Courses

GNM students may register for any graduate nursing course with the following prefixes:

  • NURS
  • NSG

GNM students may NOT register for NCLIN courses.

Graded vs. Non-Graded Courses

Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory

When registering for a course, you have the option to change numerical grades to Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory (S/NS). You can switch from graded to S/NS, and vice versa, through the seventh week of the quarter. After the seventh week of the quarter, students are not allowed to change to or from the S/NS grade option.

Late changes from the S/NS to grading option are allowed only in situations where a course must have a numeric grade to fulfill degree, prerequisite, or similar requirements. Students must complete the Late Grading Option Change Petition and attach documentation of the requirement the course you are requesting would fulfill. Examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • a DARS report
  • a statement from your program adviser
  • or a copy of the requirement you are attempting to fulfill

A $20 late-registration-change fee will be posted to your account if this change is approved. Late changes to the S/NS grading option are not allowed.

If you enroll as a matriculated graduate student, the UW Graduate School requires a minimum of 18 graded credits towards the degree. Consider that good graduate course grades may strengthen your application to the School of Nursing, especially if your undergraduate grades are low.

Alternatively, consider that graduate school courses are more rigorous than typical undergraduate classes. Therefore, you may wish to take the S/NS option especially if you have been out of school for awhile. If you do select the S/NS option (e.g. thesis or scholarly project courses are taken S/NS), make certain that you will have sufficient graded credits in your program of study.

For matriculated students, a grade point average of 3.0 is required; 2.7 is the cutoff for receiving credit.

Credit/No Credit

Credit/No Credit is an option selected by the instructor or the department, and applies to the entire course rather than to individual students. The Credit/No-Credit system is entirely separate from the student-option S/NS system. The credits for such courses are not counted against the 25-credit S/NS limit, and students are allowed to use CR/NC courses to satisfy graduation requirements.