The Graduate Certificate Program in Advanced Practice Nursing (GCPAPN) is available to students who have completed a graduate degree or are currently matriculated in a graduate degree program. A minimum of 15 credits (9 graded) are required for completion of all GCPAPN options. Some elective courses may be applied to both the certificate and a graduate degree at the University of Washington. A GCPAPN will be awarded only to students who:
- have previously earned a master's degree or higher, or
- are being awarded a UW graduate degree in the same quarter as the GCPAPN
Certificate program deadlines vary (please refer to the chart below). For those with "priority" deadlines, applications will continue to be accepted after the deadline on a space-available basis.
Admissions to all graduate certificate options requires:
- an earned graduate degree (some specialties require a graduate degree in nursing) OR current matriculation in a graduate degree-granting program plus an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- meeting Essential Behaviors
- minimum grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 90 graded credits
Some certificate programs require RN licensure or a graduate degree in nursing - please refer to the chart below.
Graduate Certificate Program
RN License Required
In-Process or Earned
|Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner||♦||MN, DNP, or PhD in Nursing||January 15 (Priority)*|
|Advanced Practice Environmental Health||♦||January 15 (Priority)*|
|Infant Mental Health||♦||May 1|
|Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist***|
|Neonatal Nurse Practitioner***|
|Nurse-Midwifery**||♦||MN or DNP||January 15 (Priority)*|
|Pediatric Nurse Practitioner**||♦||MN or DNP||January 15 (Priority)*|
|Perinatal Nurse Specialist**||♦||MN or DNP||January 15 (Priority)*|
|Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner**||♦||DNP||January 15 (Priority)*|
*Priority deadline is January 15. After January 15, applications are accepted on a space-available basis.
**Requires an advanced practice graduate degree in nursing.
***The Neonatal Nurse Practitioner and Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist certificate programs have suspended admissions for the 2014-15 academic year.
Required Application Materials
- Online Graduate Certificate application, including School of Nursing Supplemental Form
- Current resume
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Responses to the admissions questions (see instructions for prompts)
- Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form (do NOT run the background check when you apply)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended; foreign transcripts must include translated evaluations