The BSN Honors Program is not available to students in the Accelerated BSN program.
Graduating “With Honors” is a nationally recognized scholastic achievement that signifies additional effort and accomplishment. The UW SoN is the only nursing school in Washington State to offer honors in the baccalaureate degree.
Students at the UW can apply for admission to Interdisciplinary Honors at the time of application as freshman. See http://depts.washington.edu/uwhonors/reqs for more information on UW Honors opportunities and requirements.
BSN Honors Project Examples
Completed BSN Honors projects include a variety of topics:
- Assessing Adequacy of Chest Compression during BLS
- Assessing Validity of a Screening Tool for Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Baby It's Cold Outside: Clinical and Environmental Factors Impacting Neonatal Thermoregulation
- Effects of Artificial Light Exposure on Adolescent Sleep
- Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Appetite Regulation of Adolescents
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: Risks and Possibilities for Diabetic Patients Undergoing Abdominal Surgery
- Gender-Based Perceptions in a Health Promotion Program for Older Adults
- Marijuana Use in Pregnancy: Support and Stigma in an Online Forum
- Pain in Hospice Patients with Dementia: The Informal Caregiver Experience
- A Practical Perspective on Tuckman’s Stages during Group Development of a Global Health Partnership
- Religiosity and its Effects on African American and Hispanic Dementia Caregiving
- Strategies and Challenges for Recruitment of Older Adults in Fall Prevention Research
- Suicide Prevention Training for UW Faculty and Staff: Which Model Works Best?
- Thrive, a Wellness Program for Older Adults: Opportunities for Community Engagement
- Minimum of a 3.3 cumulative UW GPA
- Minimum of a 3.5 cumulative School of Nursing GPA
- Participation in 1-credit honors seminar (NURS 445: Topics in Nursing) Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters of senior year
- Register for honors credit in NMETH403: Introduction to Nursing Research
- Complete 4-credits of mentored research experience during senior year (NMETH499)
- Participate in Undergraduate Research Symposium (May 2015) poster session
How to Apply
- Complete the BSN Honors Program Application by the deadline below, including short personal statement and goals.
- Get an electronic copy of your unofficial UW transcript via MyUW (save the Printer Friendly version as a PDF)
- Print your application and transcript, place both in a manila envelope marked “Honors Application,” and bring to the SoN reception desk (T-301) by May 4, 2015.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact Barbara Burns McGrath RN, PhD, Faculty Coordinator BSN Honors, email@example.com.