This area of concentration is offered by the School of Nursing in collaboration with the Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences (CSSS). This is a program option that offers the opportunity for advanced training in statistical methods to complement your PhD program of study. Successful completion of the statistics concentration is recognized by the University of Washington and is recorded on your transcript as part of your PhD degree.
The area of concentration includes four additional advanced statistical methods courses and at least two quarters of CS&SS 590, the weekly CSSS Seminar. These courses are above and beyond the 10 credits of advanced statistics required for all PhD students. You must receive numerical grades for all courses taken as part of the statistics concentration.
Requirements and Process
If you are interested in the statistics area of concentration, you should speak to the Chair of your PhD Supervisory Committee. You will need to work with your chair and your supervisory committee members to develop a Statistics Area of Concentration Coursework Proposal as part of your overall Program of Study.
To begin work in this statistics area of concentration, you must meet the following requirements:
Statistics Area of Concentration Coursework Proposal
Your Coursework Proposal describes your course work's relevance to the statistics area of concentration, and should contain the following elements:
- At least two quarters of CS&SS 590: CSSS Seminar.
- Four additional advanced statistics courses, at least three of which must be selected from the CSSS list of approved courses for the nursing concentration.
- Rationale for the selection of specific courses.
- The proposed sequence (quarter and year) in which you will take each statistics course.
- A letter notifying the CSSS Director of your intention to pursue the concentration.
Completing the Concentration
Successful completion of the program will be based on:
- Completion of four (4) advanced statistical courses described and justified in the approved Area of Concentration Coursework Proposal. At least three of the four courses should be CSSS 500-level courses.
- A grade of 3.3 or greater in each course designated in the area of concentration.
- Participation in at least two quarters of the CSSS Seminar, CS&SS 590.
- Upon completion of all courses and the seminar. You must submit summaries of courses completed, course syllabi, grades, and any relevant assignments, including papers or projects to your PhD Supervisory Committee for review.
- The completed program is also submitted to the CSSS Director.
Your committee will review your coursework, and your chair will inform you in writing whether or not you have successfully completed the Nursing Science Area of Concentration.