Minimum Requirements for Application to the BSN Program
- minimum college-level cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; you can use our GPA Worksheet to determine if you are eligible to apply
- completion of 90 quarter credits of prerequisite courses by the time you matriculate into the program, including:
- a minimum of 3 Natural World courses with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, or 4 Natural World courses with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 must be completed at the time of application
- all prerequisites listed must be completed by the end of Summer Quarter, prior to the Autumn Quarter start of the BSN program
- minimum grade of 2.0 in ALL prerequisite courses
- minimum 100 hours volunteer or paid health care experience in one setting within a period of 3 months, completed within 12 months prior to applying to the BSN program
- meeting Essential Behaviors for undergraduate students
- proof of English language proficiency (all applicants)
Required Application Materials
Download, complete and return ALL of the following BSN application materials. Read the instructions carefully. You will need to submit an electronic AND hard copy of your application. Your hard copy application and all required accompanying materials must be submitted in one packet, free of staples, clips or any other type of binder by 5:00pm on the deadline.
The BSN application form uses calculated fields. Make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader installed when completing this application.
- BSN application instructions*
- BSN application (includes checklist, application form, and Optional Applicant Data form)
- Supplemental Academic Background form (if you attended more than 4 colleges/universities)
- Letter of recommendation cover form
- Essential Qualifications of Candidates for BSN & ABSN Admissions form
- Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form (do NOT run the background check when you apply)
- One (1) letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (see instructions for essay questions)
- Current resume (see instructions for format guidelines)
- Sealed official transcripts from each college or university you have ever attended or are currently attending, including the University of Washington
- Course descriptions for Lifespan Growth & Development, Statistics, and any BSN Natural World prerequisite courses completed outside of Washington State
If you are not currently a University of Washington student, you will also need to complete the UW Undergraduate Application.
*If you downloaded the BSN application instructions before noon on 10/3/2012, please re-download the latest version. This corrects a previous error regarding the number of credits required to apply to the program.
Proctored Essay Session
After initial review of all applications, all applicants will receive an e-mail from the School indicating whether or not they should come to the Seattle campus to write the proctored essay. You should reserve Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 from 6:00 - 7:00pm in advance in case you are asked to write this essay.
The proctored essay will be held in Hogness Auditorium in the Health Sciences Building (room A420). Signs will be posted to direct you to the auditorium, and directions to the School can be found online.
Out-of-area applicants unable to come to the Seattle campus should follow the directions in the BSN application instructions for setting up a proctor for the essay.