Minimum Requirements for Application to the ABSN Program
- A minimum college-level cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8, based on all post-secondary coursework; use our GPA Worksheet to see if you are eligible to apply
- A baccalaureate degree in a non-nursing field. Although this is not required at the time of application, this must be completed prior to enrollment in the program.
- Completion of a minimum of 3 of the required Natural World prerequisites (General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy, Physiology, Nutrition) with a minimum grade of 3.0 in each course. The following also applies to these courses:
- The minimum requirement to apply to the program is completion of 3 Natural World prerequisites. Applicants offered admission to the program must complete all prerequisite courses (Lifespan Growth and Development and Statistics in addition to Natural World prerequisites) with a minimum grade of 3.0 in each course. Any remaining Natural World courses must be completed by the end of Spring Quarter prior to matriculating into the ABSN program.
- If prerequisites are not completed by the end of Spring Quarter and/or do not have a minimum grade of 3.0, admission to the ABSN program will be revoked.
- Minimum 100 hours volunteer or paid health care experience in one setting working around registered nurses (RNs) over the course of three months, completed within twelve months prior to submitting your application
- Meeting Essential Qualifications for Admission
- Proof of English language proficiency (all applicants)
- All ABSN applicants will write a proctored essay.
Required Application Materials
Download, complete and return ALL of the following ABSN application materials. Read the instructions carefully. You will need to submit an electronic AND hard copy of your application. Your hard copy application and all required accompanying materials must be submitted in one packet, free of staples, clips or any other type of binder by 5:00pm on the deadline.
The ABSN application form uses calculated fields. Make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Reader installed when completing this application.
- ABSN application instructions
- ABSN application (includes checklist, application form, and Optional Applicant Data form)
- Supplemental Academic Background form (if you attended more than 4 colleges/universities)
- Letter of recommendation cover form
- Essential Qualifications of Candidates for BSN & ABSN Admissions form
- Background Check, Authorization for Repeat Checks, and Dissemination of Results form (do NOT run the background check when you apply)
- One (1) letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (see instructions for essay questions)
- Current resume (see instructions for format guidelines)
- Sealed official transcripts from each college or university you have ever attended or are currently attending, including the University of Washington
- Course descriptions for Lifespan Growth & Development, Statistics, and any ABSN Natural World prerequisite courses completed outside of Washington State
In addition to the above materials, you will also complete:
- A written proctored essay scheduled for Tuesday October 22, 2013 from 6:00 - 7:00pm at the Health Sciences Building on the UW Seattle campus. If you live out-of-area, read the ABSN application instructions for information on how to arrange an out-of-area proctor for this. There are no make-up sessions for the proctored essay and your application will be automatically denied if this is not completed.
- If you are admitted to the School of Nursing ABSN program and accept our offer of admission, you will submit a post-baccalaureate UW Undergraduate Application. Enrollment in the ABSN program is contingent upon successful admission to the University of Washington. Admission to the ABSN program does not guarantee admission to the UW.